I prefer pickled jalapenos to fresh ones but I stay away from supermarket pickled jalapenos because of the amount of unhealthy preservatives. If you are looking to enjoy pickled jalapenos without consuming copious amount of harmful chemicals than the best solution is to make them yourself with this easy to follow recipe.
Pickled Jalapenos Ingredients:
- 5-6 Jalapenos
- 3 cloves of garlic finely diced
- 2 teaspoons dry cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz of pale ale
- 1 tablespoon of pickling salt
Step 1) Slice jalapenos into rings and place in sterile jar along with garlic, basil, and cilantro.
Step 2) Combine vinegar, water, and pickling salt in pot and place on stove top over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until the salt has completely dissolved in the vinegar and water.
Step 3) Pour brine over the jalapenos in jar about 2/3 of the way up. Add the beer in the remaining 1/3 of space. Allow to cool until it reaches room temperature before placing lid on the jar and storing in the refrigerator.
It is best to let the jalapenos pickle for 72 hours before consuming to allow the fresh jalapeno to loose some of their heat and take in the spices. The jalapenos can last at least 3 months in the a refrigerated state.
These jalapenos are packed with so much flavor and they only get more flavorful the more time they sit in your fridge. I am a big spicy food fan so I add these to just about everything from pork sandwiches to nachos and everything in between. Below is one of my favorite burger recipes that is really complimented by these beer infused pickled jalapenos.
- 2-4 strips of bacon, cut in half
- ¾ pound ground chuck (80% lean/20% fat preferred)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2-4 cheese slices
- Fresh or pickled jalapeño slices
- Other toppings:
- Mustard/ ketchup/mayonnaise
- Tomato/ Lettuce/ Onion
Or perfectly paired with
- 1/2 head red cabbage (about 1 pound),cored and shredded (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 flat-iron steaks (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup store-bought green salsa