Growing up in New England green beans were a staple of our summer garden. They grew so well that we had more than we knew what to do with. Not wanting to waste our precious bounty we decided to experiment with pickling them and it turns out green beans do really well pickled. Pickled green beans make for the perfect snack that can be enjoyed year round.
Pickled Green Beans Ingredients:
- 6 oz of green beans or about 15 medium sized
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 pint size mason jar
Step 1) Prepare the green beans by thoroughly washing them and cutting off the excess ends. Place green beans in jars. Depending on the size of the green beans you may need to trim them so they fit in the jar.
Step 2) Take your diced garlic, dill weed, and chili flakes and distribute as evenly as possible into the jars already filled with your prepared green beans.
Step 3) Combine the water, vinegar, and pickling salt into a pot and place on the stove over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. You will want to stir occasionally to blend the ingredients. Once properly blended remove from stove and pour over green beans/spice mixture.
Step 4) Let finished product cool to room temperature before placing lid firmly on the jar. You will want to let your green beans pickle for about a week before eating. They can last a couple months but believe me they will be consumed by your family and friends long before they are no longer edible. Enjoy!
I absolutely enjoy the flavor profile of these green beans and they keep the same crunch as if they were from the garden. They are certainly good enough to have on their own but if you are looking to take veggie pizza night up a notch simply substitute in pickled green beans for the regular green beans in the recipe below.
- 250 – 500ml (1 – 2 cups) warm water
- 500g (just under 4 1/2 cups) bread flour
- 7 (g) dried yeast
- 4 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 – 10 new potatoes (depending on size)
- 2 handfuls green beans
- 1 quantity pesto (or approximately 130g)
- 2 tablespoons single cream (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Shaved Parmesan (optional)
- 1 vegan pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt (see note)
- ¾ cups fried onion pieces + more for topping