If you are looking for a tangy healthy snack than look no further than pickled carrots. Pickled carrots pack a punch, not only in their great flavor, but also in their incredibly high vitamin A content. This pickling staple is sure to please the pickiest of pallets.
- 6-8 medium sized carrots
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 4-5 sprigs of dill
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons of pickling salt
Step 1) Peel and cut carrots into roughly equal length and place in sterile jar along with garlic, dill and mustard seed.
Step 3) Pour pickling brine over carrots and let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, place lid on jar and refrigerate. Wait 24 hours before consuming. Pickled carrots can last up to 5 weeks in a refrigerated state. The longer you can wait the best they’ll taste.
There are few things I enjoy as much as carrots with a solid hummus dip. Pairing a great hummus with these pickled carrots is the perfect flavor-packed healthy snack. If you are in need of some good hummus recipes these are some of my favorites below.
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini,
- Half of a large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Dash of ground paprika for serving
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Dash of ground red pepper